When refugees arrive in the Twin Cities, they must learn to navigate many new systems. Volunteers play an integral role in helping families adjust to life in Minnesota. Resettlement assistants work alongside MCC Refugee Services staff to help refugees access essential recourse. In this role, you get the chance to experience the resettlement process first-hand, as well as the unique opportunity to teach refugees skills that will help them transition to greater self-sufficiency.
Volunteer Activities: Resettlement Assistant is a flexible position that helps with a variety of tasks essential to our work. Whether you thrive working with directly with people or prefer working behind-the-scenes, we will work with you to find a role that is the right fit. Examples of activities may include:
- Shopping at Bridging appointments at Roseville or Bloomington locations
- Helping with apartment set ups for incoming refugee families around the Twin Cities area
- Helping teach a refugee to navigate the bus and light rail systems for specific locations (job interviews, doctor office, library, MCC offices, etc.)
- Sorting, itemizing, and organizing donations
- Delivering donations to refugee families
- Assisting with school or ELL enrollment
- Providing transportation to refugees for job interviews, grocery shopping or medical appointments.
- Consistent communication with Volunteer and Outreach Specialist
- Cultural sensitivity
- Ability to respond to refugee’s needs in a realistic, non-judgmental way
- Willingness to engage in respectful communication with people who may have limited English skills
- Flexibility, promptness, and dependability
- Reliable transportation to get to and from volunteer activities (some tasks require a vehicle)
- Consistent communication with the Volunteer and Outreach Specialist
- 4–6 months
- One scheduled shift a week, 3–4-hour slots
- Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Pleasecomplete our volunteer application.
Questions? Contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 612-230-3291 or firstname.lastname@example.org.