Thank you for your interest in working for the Minnesota Council of Churches.
We are pleased to offer a competitive benefits package, including:
- Gold Medical insurance plan
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Vacation and holiday pay
- Employer contributing retirement plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Free parking
As an Equal Opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, creed, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS
POSITION TITLE: Refugee Program Specialist: Housing Specialist (Regular, 1 FTE, non-exempt)
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To find and secure housing for clients of MCC Refugee Services, in coordination and collaboration with MCC case managers and outreach staff. This position works to ensure MCC resettlement and case management clients have access to safe, sanitary and affordable housing.
- Perform outreach to landlords to promote the housing of MCC clients.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with landlords.
- Identify and secure safe and affordable housing for refugees enrolled in MCC services, by:
- Searching online and other housing resources and listings
- Contacting housing management companies to locate available units
- Explaining MCC financial supports and housing model to potential landlords
- Working with MCC communications staff to promote community members’ offering units to families with refugee status
- Negotiating leases with management companies
- Schedule and facilitate Bridging appointments and order furniture to ensure furnished units.
- Lead housing education workshops for refugees enrolled in MCC services.
- Coordinate apartment setups and lease signings, with clients, staff and volunteers.
- Prepare Welcome Kits for families
- Conduct home visits to assess home safety and supply needs
- Facilitate housing orientations for refugees in new housing secured by MCC.
- Manage and update database of landlords, housing options, and landlord outreach.
- Participate in development and implementation of agency housing outreach strategies
- Represent MCC Refugee Services on community housing task forces and work groups.
- Track participant outcomes.
- Complete and file appropriate reports in a timely manner.
- Document all contacts and services in the case file
As part of the MCC Refugee Services team, participate in meeting outcome goals defined in various program contracts, including:
- Provide direct assistance to clients
- Assist with filing forms for clients
- Respond to client questions
- Complete reports, as directed
- Conduct intake and assessments to determine client eligibility for program(s).
- Maintain positive relationships with community partners relevant to program activities
- Work closely with MCC colleagues to ensure that refugees are integrated into the broader array of services available in the organization
- Promote MCC Refugee Services Programs to potential clients and recruit clients to meet enrollment goals.
- Provide translation and interpretation support for Refugee Services projects, as needed.
- Provide ongoing cultural orientation to program participants
- Submit regular reports to track client outcomes, fulfill reporting requirements, and capture client success stories.
- Oversee volunteer activities, as appropriate.
- Assist in emergencies as they arise
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working with refugees or recent immigrants
- Knowledge of local refugee and immigrant populations, the resources available to them, and the state and federal policies that impact them.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and work through across cultures
- Commitment to the wellbeing and self-sufficiency of refugees, asylees, and immigrants.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across programs and organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain detailed records and submit accurate reports in a timely manner.
- Strong English language communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated strong communication, negotiation, and mediation skills.
- Proven ability to work in crisis situations.
- Prefer case management experience focusing on attainment of outcomes in areas of housing, employment, education, family functioning, or immigration.
- Proven capacity to work in fast paced social service environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Bilingual proficiency in Arabic, Karen, Oromo, Russian, Somali, Swahili, or Tigrinyan preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or related work experience required
- Experience with Microsoft applications required. Proven ability to use basic office equipment including copiers, postage machines, and fax machines
- Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation required.
- Availability to work occasional weekend or evening hours.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
Normal office conditions. This position works out of MCC’s office at 122 West Franklin Avenue in Minneapolis. Job duties are performed during the weekday business hours, with occasional weekend or evening hours.
This is a non-exempt, full-time position. Benefits include medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, generous retirement contribution, 12 days of Sick and Safe leave, 20 days vacation and 11.5 paid holidays as provided by MCC human resources policy.
SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATION BY 6/25/2021
SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATION, RESUME, COVER TO
Minnesota Council of Churches * 122 West Franklin Ave #100 * Minneapolis MN 55404
Phone: 612-230-3204 * FAX: 612-870-3622 * email@example.com
The Minnesota Council of Churches is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer